Online Course: Introduction to Financial Management (Summer 2021)
- Nonmember - $295
- Academic Program - $195
- Academic Faculty - $195
- Academic Student - $195
- Partner Institution - $195
- Partner Institution Staff - $195
- Premier Partner Institution - $195
- Premier Institution Staff - $195
- Platinum Partner Institution - $195
- Platinum Institution Staff - $195
- Complimentary - $195
- Individual - $195
- Subscription - $195
- Institutional Budget - $195
- Institutional Staff - $195
Designed for staff and volunteers of all abilities and organizations of all sizes, this four-week course provides an accessible, clear, and even fun introduction to financial concepts. From understanding expenses and income to how to establish an endowment, this course will equip you with a toolkit to engage with finance on your terms and to your ability.
Over the four weeks, students will participate in dynamic discussions, review relevant and timely readings, and ultimately build a real, usable budget tailored to their organization’s needs.
The course is divided into four weekly segments, each accompanied by an online lesson, forum, chat, and assignment:
- Week One: Introduction to financial terminology and reporting systems
- Week Two: Understanding earned, contributed, and investment income; UBIT
- Week Three: Understanding expenses, cost projections and analysis
- Week Four: The relationship between finance and mission relevance; financial health
SESSION DATES: May 24 - June 21, 2021
COST: $195 AASLH Members / $295 Nonmembers
OPEN REGISTRATION: March 1 - May 24, 2021; 20 participant limit
FORMAT: Online, Instructor-led, Weekly-paced course
LENGTH: 4 weeks
PARTICIPATION: Students should expect to spend approximately 5 hours per week on readings, text-based forum discussions, and assignments
LIVE ZOOM OFFICE HOURS: We recommend downloading the Zoom mobile or desktop app for this course.
- A one-hour live Zoom office hour will be held weekly
- Final dates/times will be determined by the instructor at the start of the course
- Office hours are not recorded and are optional to attend
- Required Textbook: Financial Fundamentals for Historic House Museums, by Rebekah Beaulieu, 2017.
- Texts are NOT INCLUDED with registration. Participants must order the book separately from the book seller of their choice. A discount code is provided after registration.
- Students should bring real-life financial information to the course to be used in course assignments to create a budget.
- Students should also have access to and basic knowledge of Microsoft Excel or a similar spreadsheet program as it will be used extensively to complete assignments.
- Note: all institutional financial information will be kept confidential and shared only with the instructor.
TECHNOLOGY: Participants will need access to internet and a desktop computer, laptop, or tablet to participate in this course. For the live Zoom office hours, we recommend having access to a camera and a headset, earpods, or other audio and microphone device. Automatic captioning is available in the Zoom discussions.
CREDIT: Successful completion of this course (80% or higher) will earn one credit toward the Small Museum Pro! certificate from AASLH.
At the end of this course you will:
- Understand processes related to budgets and basic financial systems in accordance with best practices
- Understand institutional financial planning, goal-setting, and analysis
- Bridge mission- and non-mission-based activities with financial outcomes
- Feel more comfortable and better equipped to create operational and special project budgets
Who Should Take This Course
Whether you have financial responsibilities at your organization, wish to build a skill set for a leadership position in the future, or simply want to better comprehend and contribute to financial decision-making, this course is for you.
How to Register
Click here for instructions on how to register yourself or another user for this event.
Online Course Instructor
Rebekah Beaulieu, Ph.D. is the Director of the Florence Griswold Museum, an art museum, National Landmark historic house, and 13-acres of gardens and grounds in Old Lyme, Connecticut. She serves on the faculty of AASLH’s History Leadership Institute, and is a member of the Association’s Finance Committee. Becky is also a board member of the New England Museum Association and Connecticut Humanities, and was recently appointed an AAM Accreditation Commissioner.
Becky is the author of Financial Fundamentals for Historic House Museums (Rowman & Littlefield, 2017). She holds an M.A in Art History and Museum Studies from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, and in Arts Administration from Columbia University; she earned her Ph.D. in American and New England Studies at Boston University.
Cancellation/Refunds for onsite workshops must be submitted in writing via email to email@example.com or mail to 2021 21st Ave S., Suite 320 Nashville, TN 37212. Cancellations made prior to the early-bird registration deadline date will receive a full refund. Cancellations made between the early-bird deadline date and eight days prior to the workshop will be subject to a $55 processing/materials charge. No refunds will be given within seven days of the workshop date. AASLH is not responsible for cancellations that were mailed or emailed but never received.
Cancellations/Refunds for online professional development (webinars and online courses) must be submitted in writing via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to 2021 21st Ave S., Suite 320 Nashville, TN 37212. Cancellations made prior to the start date for the online course or the day of the webinar will be given a full refund. No refund will be given after the start date for the online course or on/after the day of the webinar. Registrants may transfer their registration to another person. Registrations cannot be transferred between courses or course sessions. AASLH is not responsible for cancellations that were mailed or emailed but never received.
If you have any questions, please contact AASLH Professional Development staff at email@example.com or 615-320-3203.