Recorded Webinar: Grappling with Confederate Monuments and Iconography
Recorded On: 03/28/2016
- Nonmember - $20
- Academic Program - Free!
- Academic Faculty - Free!
- Academic Student - Free!
- Partner Institution - Free!
- Partner Institution Staff - Free!
- Premier Partner Institution - Free!
- Premier Institution Staff - Free!
- Platinum Partner Institution - Free!
- Platinum Institution Staff - Free!
- Complimentary - Free!
- Individual - Free!
- Subscription - Free!
- Institutional Budget - Free!
- Institutional Staff - Free!
The tragic shootings at Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston in June 2015 precipitated a national outcry against the Confederate flag. State leaders in Alabama and South Carolina removed it from capitol grounds. Walmart and other retailers discontinued merchandise bearing the flag. Meanwhile, the controversy expanded to include Confederate monuments and statues. In this webinar, AASLH’s Bob Beatty moderates a discussion with author and public historian Kevin Levin, Gordon Jones of the Atlanta History Center, and Dina Bailey of the Center for Civil and Human Rights to learn how the field of state and local history can respond.
RECORDED DATE: March 28, 2016