Technical Leaflet 256: Documenting Local African American Community History
- Nonmember - $5
- Academic Program - Free!
- Academic Faculty - Free!
- Academic Student - Free!
- Partner Institution - Free!
- Partner Institution Staff - Free!
- Premier Partner Institution - Free!
- Premier Institution Staff - Free!
- Platinum Partner Institution - Free!
- Platinum Institution Staff - Free!
- Complimentary - Free!
- Individual - Free!
- Subscription - Free!
- Institutional Budget - Free!
- Institutional Staff - Free!
Documenting Local African American Community History is an AASLH Technical Leaflet. AASLH Technical Leaflets are brief, practical guides on how to do history. Technical Leaflet #256 by Lila Teresa Church, Ph.D. outlines how to reach out to local African American communities and gain trust. Documenting local African American history poses both challenges and opportunities for historical institutions that have not traditionally preserved this portion of their community's narrative. This leaflet focuses on collecting primary resources related to African American history and how to encourage participation through outreach. Dr. Church provides step-by-step guidelines for connecting with African American community members and soliciting and acquiring primary evidence within the institution's collections scope.