Workshop: Collections Camp: Military Collections (July 2019)
- Registration Closed
Do you have military artifacts in your museum collection? This two-and-a-half-day workshop will focus on the care, conservation, and exhibition of military artifacts in museum collections. Spend time working with conservators and curators to learn how to be better stewards of your military history collection.
As a result of this workshop, participants should:
- Have a general knowledge of the basic types of military artifacts common in American museum collections;
- Have a general knowledge of the particular needs of military collections including proper identification, handling, and basic conservation;
- Be familiar with some of the current issues and trends in the preservation of military artifact collections;
- Be able to ensure the safety of visitors, staff, and artifacts when exhibiting or storing military items;
- Explore the variety of issues related to exhibiting and storing military history collections;
- Be familiar with simple conservation procedures that are safe to perform on their military history collections;
- Be aware of when they should call a professional conservator for problems with their military history collections;
- Recognize the importance of military collections in American museums.
FORMAT: On-site group workshop
LENGTH: Two and a half days
DATE: July 10-12, 2019
LOCATION: Washington State Historical Society, Tacoma, WA
MATERIALS: Workshop materials will be provided upon registration and in-person at the event.
COST: $300 AASLH members/$425 nonmembers
** Save $40 when you register by June 12, 2019 and use promo code EARLYBIRD19 at checkout! **
Who Should Attend This Workshop
This workshop is intended for museum staff and volunteers who work in any type of museum that holds collections of a military nature.
About the Faculty:
Gordon Blaker is the Director of the US Army Artillery Museum in Fort Sill, OK.
Myers Brown is Director of Archival Technical Services at the Tennessee State Library and Archives in Nashville, TN.